LOW FARMHOUSE 2 FARM COTTAGES AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137568

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: LOW FARMHOUSE 2 FARM COTTAGES AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS, 2, THORNTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOW FARMHOUSE 2 FARM COTTAGES AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 00:29:34.

Location

Statutory Address: LOW FARMHOUSE 2 FARM COTTAGES AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS, 2, THORNTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stainton and Thornton

National Grid Reference: NZ 47885 13737

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINTON AND THORNTON ROAD, NZ 41 SE (4713) THORNTON east side.

5/129 No 2 (Low Farmhouse) 2 farm cottages 23.6.66 and adjoining outbuildings - II Wrongly shown on O.S. map as Kell Gate. Farmhouse, mid/late C17, altered c.1800. Early/mid C18 farm cottages, byre and stable adjoining left and right, with mid-C19 extensions. Farmhouse and cottages now one house. Brick, in English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings. Rear and left return of farmhouse rendered. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings, shaped kneelers and rebuilt brick end stacks with stone dogtooth-moulded caps. Clay pantiles on cottages and outbuildings. 2 storeys, 3 bays defined by narrow pilaster strips rising from hollow-chamfered plinth. Central Victorian 6-panel door and overlight. All openings enlarged and surrounds added c.1800; architraves under bolection-moulded frieze and pediments, semicircular in middle bay, segmental in first-floor end bays, and with scrolls on first floor. Traces of original hoodmoulds flank window heads. Early C20 casements. Steeply-pitched roof has 3 small skylights. Lower left 2-storey 1-window cottage, entered from rear. Horizontal sash window with glazing bars, on ground floor; fixed-light first floor window. Lower 1-storey left byre has chevron-pattern breathers left of blocked door. Lower left extension. Right 1-storey, 2 window cottage, has horizontal sash windows with glazing bars, in altered openings. Slightly lower right stable and cart shed. Rear of farmhouse shows central staircase wing and horizontal sash windows with glazing bars. INTERIOR: early C19 dogleg staircase with stick balusters, turned newels, moulded handrail and shaped tread ends. Moulded handrail on wall. Panelled doors in wood architraves, on ground floor. Farm outbuildings east of farmhouse are not of special interest. Architraves and pediments possibly re-used from C17 Thornton Hall, demolished c.1800.

Listing NGR: NZ4788513737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59851

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing