MARHAYES MANOR, INCLUDING GARDEN AREA WALL ADJOINING AT NORTH-EAST AND RUNNING PARALLEL TO NORTH FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137624

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: MARHAYES MANOR, INCLUDING GARDEN AREA WALL ADJOINING AT NORTH-EAST AND RUNNING PARALLEL TO NORTH FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARHAYES MANOR, INCLUDING GARDEN AREA WALL ADJOINING AT NORTH-EAST AND RUNNING PARALLEL TO NORTH FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:50:21.

Location

Statutory Address: MARHAYES MANOR, INCLUDING GARDEN AREA WALL ADJOINING AT NORTH-EAST AND RUNNING PARALLEL TO NORTH FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Week St. Mary

National Grid Reference: SS 24190 00818

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEK ST MARY SS 20 SW 1/75 Marhayes Manor, including garden area wall adjoining at 29.9.61 north-east and running parallel to north front

GV II*

Farmhouse, formerly manor house, stables and garden wall. Circa early-C17 build incorporated into late C17 - early C18 house. Early C17 walls slatestone rubble, late C17 walls Flemish bond brick with freestone dressings, slate roofs hipped all round with central valley, brick chimneys may have been reduced in height. Double depth plan with present east entrance into corridor, opposed flights of stairs off centre of corridor. Further entrance on north front with steps up to first floor doorway, doorway altered. Evidence that present house is truncated survival or partial execution of 3-storey late C17 build with ground floor service rooms. 2-storey, 5 windows symmetrical east front with long and short rusticated quoins. Freestone architrave to C20 door. Ground floor windows 3-light small pane casements with glazing bars are presumably replacements under moulded brick soldier arches; 2-light casements in wooden mullion and transoms windows on first floor. Alternate windows have freestone architraves and stone sills. First floor window left retains proper arrangement of small leaded panes. South front slatestone rubble to ground floor, brick platband at first floor level, brick above, brick platband below eaves. Ground floor window left, south front, renewed 3-light casement with glazing bars, ground floor window right, south front, 2-light freestone mullioned window slightly recessed with splay. First floor window left 12-pane sash at lower level than other window openings, 1 blocked window. Ground floor room right has large fireplace and remains of oven, coving above fireplace. Large dairy ground floor room rear right has stud and brick wall, slate floor and slate-topped benches. 4-centred chamfered granite doorway with pyramid stops to west front. First floor room right has elaborate decorated plaster ceiling in high relief with putti, birds, fruit and flowers, some elements supported on wires. Coving above fireplace, deep, bolection-moulded skirting board. First floor room left has more restrained plaster decoration and remains of plaster panelling on walls. C17 stable block adjoining at south-west retains 2-light wooden mullioned window. Late C17 Flemish bond wall to east and north of north garden front. An aluminium flue rises on the north-west corner of the houses. Marhayes is a Domesday Manor. Thomas and John Maris of Marhays were feoffees to the deed of endowment of Week St Mary Grammar School (qv Old College). The rebuild of the house may have been connected with the rise of John Rolle of Marhays, born 1626, who was made a Knight of the Bath for assisting the restoration of Charles. Source: Polsue, Parochial History of Cornwall, Truro (1870)

Listing NGR: SS2419000818

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67261

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

End of official listing