This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Obelisk approximately 20 metres east of Chicksands Priory

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Obelisk approximately 20 metres east of Chicksands Priory

List entry Number: 1137723


Chicksands Priory, Shefford, SG17 5PR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Campton and Chicksands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37575

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 1217 3936 7/21

CHICKSANDS Obelisk approximately 20 metres east of Chicksands Priory

GV II Obelisk. Circa 1816. Original inscription reads:

"To the memory of the Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Private Soldiers of the Fortieth Regiment of Foot who gloriously fell in the Contest maintained by Great Britain against revolutionary France, commencing in the Year 1795 and terminating in the Year 1815 by the BATTLE OF WATERLOO and the CAPTURE of PARIS. This Pillar is erected by GENERAL SIR GEORGE OSBORN Bart their COLONEL in humble gratitude to Divine Providence for the Success of His Majesty's Arms and for the Restoration of the Blessings OF PEACE."

Rendered exterior over brick and coursed rubble core. Consists of obelisk of rather broad proportions, supported by rectangular plinth with simply moulded base and cap and inscriptions on three elevations. Stands approximately four metres high in total. Two later inscriptions refer to the re-siting and restoration of the monument on two occasions: first by Sir George Robert Osborn to commemorate the Treaty of Paris in 1856; then by the Friends of Chicksands Priory in 1975-1976 to commemorate 25 years of operations at Chicksands by the United States Air Force, the bicentenary of American Independence and European Architectural Heritage Year.

Listing NGR: TL1216739356

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.

Selected Sources

War Memorials Online, accessed 16 January 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 January 2017 from
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 12167 39356


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:12:45.

End of official listing