HARLINGTON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1137774

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-May-1985

Statutory Address: HARLINGTON MANOR, WESTONING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARLINGTON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 22:57:27.

Location

Statutory Address: HARLINGTON MANOR, WESTONING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Harlington

National Grid Reference: TL 03653 30451

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARLINGTON

TL 0230 WESTONING ROAD

22/48 Harlington Manor 22.10.52 (formerly listed as Manor House)

II*

House. C16, reworked and extended C17 and C19, with 1937 addition by Sir Albert Richardson. Belonged to Wingate family until C19 (including Edmund Wingate, C17 mathematician and-tutor to Queen Henrietta Maria). Colourwashed plaster render to whole structure, the front elevation with incised banded rustication. Clay tile roofs. Complex plan. Front elevation has 2 storey and attics central block with slightly projecting 2-storeyed gables to either end. Rear elevation has 2 projecting gables, one of 2 storeys, other of 2 storeys and attics, with C19 2-storeyed service wing projecting from RH. 1937 2 storey and attics block projects from N elevation. Front elevation: 1:3:1 mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, the flat heads with heavy voussoirs in moulded render. Ground floor central block windows replaced by 2 C19 French windows, surrounding wall cased in colourwashed brick. Modillion cornice to eaves. Rear elevation: variety of windows, includinq some casements with leaded lights, a round-arched sash with glazing bars lighting staircase, and cast iron latticework full-length windows to LH gable. Part- glazed door to RH gable. Main block has substantial red brick ridge stack with 4 linked diagonal shafts. N cross-wing has 2 substantial external stacks to N elevation, both of 3 stages, with coursed ironstone ground stage and red brick upper stages. These flank Richardson's projecting block. Interior: N cross-wing ground floor rooms have early C17 oak panelling, that to rear room including reeded Ionic pilasters, dentil cornice and more ornate panelling above fireplace. This room also has moulded spine and cross-beams and foliate boss, as well as moulded stone 4-centred arched fire surround. Plainer C17 panelling retained elsewhere, mostly to first floor. C18 pine staircase with turned balusters and panelled dado.

Listing NGR: TL0365330451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38035

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing