This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARFORD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARFORD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1137788

Location

BARFORD HOUSE, ROXTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bedford

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Great Barford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 15SW GREAT BARFORD ROXTON ROAD

8/50 Barford House 7.5. 52 GV II

Small country house. 1843, remodelled and extended c1856 by John Usher (1822- 1904). Yellow brick with stone dressings, hipped slate roof with wide bracketed eaves. Irregular plan, 2 storeys, dominated by 4 storey square tower. Italianate style. E elevation has variety of sash windows. 2 storey semi-octagonal bay with finial to roof. Tower: ground floor main entrance has 4 panel door and vermiculated rusticated stone surround with camel's head to keystone; first floor has pierced stone balcony bearing coat of arms, with french windows in round-headed opening; each side of 2nd floor has paired windows with round heads and bases; each side of 3rd floor has venetian window; embattled top is c1910 replacement of pitched roof with decorative pinnacle. Variety of brick stacks. (P Johnson, Bedfordshire Times, 27th September 1974. R Wildman, "The Houses of Usher", Architectural Association quarterly, Vol 2, No. 1, January 1970, pp 70-74).

Listing NGR: TL1374653317

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Association Quarterly' in Architectural Association Quarterly, , Vol. 2, (1970), 70-74
'Bedfordshire Times' in 27 September, (1974)

National Grid Reference: TL 13746 53317

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137788 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:43:19.

End of official listing