This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

80 AND 80A, HIGHGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 80 AND 80A, HIGHGATE

List entry Number: 1137865

Location

80 AND 80A, HIGHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75398

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 5192 NW KENDAL HIGHGATE (West side)

7/57 Nos 80 & 80A

24-4-57

G.V. II

Gatehouse to Hospital. 1659 date on (mid C19?) copy of panel, in frame over central passage arch, is incorrect; late C17 drawing (by Machel) shows date was 1663. Initials T.S., for Thomas Sandes (dealer in Kendal cottons and mayor 1647-48), were on the original but a K (for Katherine, his wife) has been added and the coat of arms (combining those of Sandes with the Shearman dyers') is an embellishment. Wet-dashed rubble; eaves cornice to taller, central block. Graduated slate roofs; rendered mid and end chimneys. Symmetrical: 2 storeys, 5 bays (1:3:1). Central block has wide, semicircular-headed passage arch with single window to either side and 3 above; the wings have a single window to each floor. Ground floor windows are 3-light and 1st floor 4-light; all wood-mullioned with square-leaded panes. Plank door to either side in passage; on north side is an iron-lidded alms box, initialled T.S., set in a niche with 2 inscriptions above: REMEMBER THE POORE (sic) in low relief (C17) and Remember the Poor Widows, carved in Roman lettering (C18?). Interior not inspected; R.C.H.M. (1936) reports initialled and dated decorative plaster panel (T. & K.S. 1661), part of scrollwork frieze, and some original panelling to 1st floor.

Listing NGR: SD5146492517

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51464 92517

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:09:46.

End of official listing