This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

13, FORE STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 13, FORE STREET

List entry Number: 1137900

Location

13, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMELFORD FORE STREET (east side), Camelford SX 1083 - 1183 8/46 No. 13 - II

Hotel, now private club. Circa early C19 with earlier origins. Stone rubble with ashlar facing to front elevation on left. Bitumen coated rag slate roof with gable end on left and gable end to front wing on right. Ashlar stone stack on right hand gable end of left hand range and ashlar stone stack in gable end of front wing on right. Original plan uncertain. The ground slopes steeply to the rear with a basement. Overall 'L' shaped plan; the double-depth range on the left has a central entrance with 2 large rooms on front, probably originally heated by end stacks. The front wing to right has an entrance in the front gable end. There is a straight joint between these 2 ranges. 3 storeys. Overall 3:2 window front. The left hand range is symmetrical and is faced with ashlar stone with string courses and deep overhanging eaves; 3 window front with dressed stone flat arches to openings. Ground floor with 2 tall 12-pane horned sashes flanking C20 double doors in centre. Three 12-paned horned sashes on first and second floors. The right hand front wing is constructed of stone rubble with an ashlar stone facing to the left hand side wall. Asymmetrical 2-window front elevation with C19 6- panelled double doors and C20 fenestration on ground floor, two 16-pane horned sashes on first floor and two 6-pane sashes on second floor. The fenestration in the right hand side elevation has been altered and there are 3 gabled full dormers to the attic. Interior not inspected. The club was formerly called the Indian King changing its name to the Higher Kings Arms in 1735. A survey of 1757 refered to 'a house, malt house, pigs houses and large yard with stable, barn and garden'. By the C19 the Inn was known as the King's Arms. Douch, H.L. Old Cornish Inns

Listing NGR: SX1057183613

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Douch, H L, Old Cornish Inns, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SX1057183613

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137900 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 11:56:35.

End of official listing