This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1138044

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Morval

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 25 NE MORVAL MORVAL

4/55 The Old Vicarage -

II

Vicarage now private house. Circa mid to late 1840s partly remodelled in 1880s. Vicarage rebuilt by John Hawkins Hext who was admitted in 1843. Stuccoed elevations with rusticated quoins to south front with slate roof with hipped ends arranged around a central well. Rendered projecting chimney stacks on hipped ends of 1840s south range and rendered axial brick chimney stack to kitchen on west. 2 principal rooms on south garden front and a hall passage behind leading from left (west) side entrance to stair well on right (east) side. The hall passage separates the principal south rooms from service rooms on the rear (north) side. 2 storeys regular south front with rusticated quoins. Large 2 storey bay window projection added in the 1880s to left with blocked opening near centre and tall C19 12-pane sash to right. First floor with sashes without glazing bars in projecting bay on left and 2 C19 hornless sashes to right with margin glazing bars. West front with right-hand side set slightly forward with rusticated quoins and projecting chimney stack. To left, 2 C19 16-panes sashes, one with horns, with projecting stuccoed porch with slate roof and segmental arched opening. First floor with 3 sashes with margin glazing bars above ground floor openings. Interior with doors, doorcases, shutters, chimney pieces and plasterwork largely intact. Entrance hall with stone and slate flag floor; drawing room with C19 marble chimney piece with plasterwork cornice decorated with egg and dart motif; dining room on south east with 019 chimney piece and ornate plasterwork cornice decorated with egg and dart motif, vine leaves and grapes and central open well stair with thin turned balusters on square bases and ramped rail. Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall. 1867-73 reprinted 1974.

Listing NGR: SX2597156646

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SX 26144 57033

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138044 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:08:14.

End of official listing