THE RED LION HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138073

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: THE RED LION HOTEL, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED LION HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:25:45.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RED LION HOTEL, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Columb Major

National Grid Reference: SW 91252 63556

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST COLUMB MAJOR FORE STREET (west side), SW 9063-9163 St Columb Major 17/224 The Red Lion Hotel 10.2.67

GV II

Inn. Circa 1810, with alterations and additions of late C19 and C20. Granite ashlar front, rendered at the right side. Hipped bitumenised slate roof behind parapet. Stacks to sides with rendered shafts. Plan: Double depth plan; large room to left, possibly originally 2 rooms, and smaller room to right at the front with entrance leading to entrance hall set off- centre to right. Service room and assembly room at the rear. There was formerly a carriage arch to right, leading to the rear courtyard, now demolished. Exterior: 2 storeys, early symmetrical 4-window front; the entrance bay is second from right and slightly advanced. Plinth, band course, cornice and parapet with coping. First floor has 4 paired plate-glass sashes of C19 in original openings with keystones and voussoirs. Ground floor has 3 similar paired sashes. Entrance bay has panelled double doors with overlight and sidelights. There is a marble plaque on the front wall recording the Cornwall County wrestling, 1826-1926, in memory of James Polkinghorne, wrestler of St Columb of 1826. The right side has 2-storey early C20 wing to right with sashes at ground and first floor and double doors to left. Interior: Not inspected.

Listing NGR: SW9125263556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71228

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing