PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138101

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 05:54:52.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Clophill

National Grid Reference: TL 08999 38245

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 0838 CLOPHILL HIGH STREET 9/49 (North Side)

23.1.61 Parish church of Saint Mary

- II

Parish church. 1847-49 by Thomas Smith, County Surveyor of Bedfordshire, 1847-1855 (Beds Record Office : QSM 35 p.524; QSH 38 pp.217-8; P45/8/1; P45/1/28). Paid for by public subscription. Restored 1879. Coursed ironstone blocks with ashlar dressings. C19 roof covering. W tower, nave, S aisle, S porch, chancel. C15 style. W tower: 3 stages, with octagonal stair turret to SE angle. Embattled parapets. Bell-stage windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights under flat heads. 3-light pointed arched window to E elevation. Narrow single lights elsewhere. Nave and S aisle : 4 windows to nave, 3 to S aisle, of 2 and 3 cinquefoiled lights under depressed 2-centred heads. Nave originally had clerestory. Nave and aisle formerly embattled. S porch : gabled, with pointed arched doorway. Chancel : single bay, with pointed arched 4-light E window. Plain parapet removed. Interior : very plain. Chapel in S aisle has re-used C16 screen with carved leaf frieze.

Listing NGR: TL0899938245

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37603

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing