Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138121

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: KILLINGTON HALL


Ordnance survey map of KILLINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 18:47:48.


Statutory Address: KILLINGTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Killington

National Grid Reference: SD 61296 89007


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



21/111 Killington Hall 21.11.52


House. C15 with alterations and additions of 1640 and 1803. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Peel tower to south end is in ruin. East facade of 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays. 1st bay is tower, breaking forward under corbelled parapet; 2nd bay also breaks forward. 1st bay has 4-light double-chamfered-mullioned window with cusped heads and label mould, similar 3-light window to 1st floor. 2nd bay of ground floor has sashed window with glazing bars and leaded glazing under label mould, projection to left has recess, purpose unknown; 4th bay of ground floor has ogee-headed window with scrolly pediment, small-paned and leaded glazing. 1st floor has single-chamfered-mullioned windows with label moulds and leaded glazing, of 3:4:4:2 lights. 2nd and 3rd bays have gabled dormers, 3-light windows, the central lights raised, leaded glazing, that to 3rd bay has datestone over reading: "RI/TK/1640/LK" (Kitson). Gable-end stacks have round shafts. South return of former has embattled parapet, 1st floor has single light and 2-light window with hollow-chamfered mullion. North return has later lean-to outshut with corrugated iron roof, small lights with chamfered opening over. Rear has projecting truncated lateral stack. Ground floor has casement windows and one sashed window with vertical glazing bars; entrance to former stack. 1st floor has 2 single-chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 and 2 lights, blocked opening and sashed window. Tower partially collapsed. Interior of tower has no floor or roof. Small inserted outhouse, blocked fireplace and corbells to north side. Interior of house has chamfered beam with corbelled brace to one end. Some C17 panelling with moulding to 3 sides. Some panelling to 1st floor. Said to be priest's hiding place; the house has recusant connections. See R.C.H.M. Inventory: Westmorland.

Listing NGR: SD6129689007


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 75691

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936)

End of official listing