CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1138155
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138155.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:30:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eversholt
National Grid Reference:
SP 98296 32505

Details

SP 9832-9932 EVERSHOLT CHURCH END 11/38 23.1.61 Church of Saint John the Baptist GV II* Parish Church. C12 origins, reworked and extended C13, C14 and C15. Reworked 1863-4 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. C20 tile roofs. Chancel, N chapel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. All except chancel have embattled parapets. Chancel:C14. C19 3-light pointed-arched E window, S elevation has 3 pointed-arched 2- light windows, W one lower and divided by transom to form low-side window, N elevation has C14 2-bay pointed-arched arcade. N chapel: C14. N elevation has C15 square-headed 3-light window to W, and small C19 square-headed lights to E bay and to E elevation. Depressed 2-centred arched N doorway, Nave: predominantly C15, but retaining earlier features. 4-bay pointed-arch arcade. W bay C13. Other bays C15, of which W bay retains C12 W respond with leaf ornament. C15 S arcade with 4 pointed arches. C15 clerestorey with 4 windows to each side, all of 3 lights under square head. N aisle: substantially reworked C15. 3 3-light windows similar to clerestorey ones. Blocked 4-centred arched doorway. S aisle:windows similar to clerestorey ones, 3 to S wall, one to E Hall. S porch: C15.3-light windows to side walls, similar to clerestory ones. 4-centred archway with foliate carving to spandrels and moulded label. Crocketed pinnacles to angles. W Tower: C15. 3-stages, with diagonal buttresses to W angles. Bell-stage has one 2-light pointed-arched window to each side. W elevation ground stage has pointed- arched doorway surmounted by pointed 2-light window. Interior: aisles retain C15 roofs with carved bosses, nave and chancel have C19 roofs. C13 font has cylindrical bowl on one central and 4 detached shafts. Chancel has part of C15 brass with figures of 6 sons. Apart from early C20 E chancel window, most stained glass is late C19, including S aisle window by Kempe of 1899 to John Martin. Early C20 wall paintings by Edward Aveling Green (1842-1930): have has scene of Christ in Majesty above chancel arch, the Fall above tower arch, and roundels of saints above arcades, all polychrome. Chancel has monochrome roundels. Tower has various late C18 and C19 marble wall tablets.

Listing NGR: SP9829632505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38141
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/03736/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].