THE COURTYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138174

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1962

Statutory Address: THE COURTYARD, 5 AND 7, FAIRBANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COURTYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 10:55:03.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COURTYARD, 5 AND 7, FAIRBANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale

National Grid Reference: SD 61032 78854

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FAIRBANK 1. 5166 (north side) Nos 5 and 7 SD 6178 NW 5/23 12.2.62 (The Courtyard) IT GV

2. 1811. Large house planned symmetrically in four bays around yard entrance. Three storeys. Coursed rubble. Slate roof. Gable chimneys. Quoins. Cement plinth to No 7. Windows with plain stone surrounds. Those to second floor of No 5 altered to gabled half-dormers with barge boards. Sashed with all glazing bars except second floor No 7. Outer door to No 5, within archway, of two leaves with three raised and fielded panels each. Inner door of six sunk panels. Reveal to doorway of No 7 has single roll moulding on arris. Similar inner door. Interior No 5. Large stone open well stair with stick balusters and continuous mahogany rail. Collar roof of sawn timbers with date "1811" cut into rafter. Lower range at back of No 5, probably older. Studded plank door. Built 1807-11 by Alexander Nowell as his house until Underley Hall was built (Annals).

Listing NGR: SD6103278854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 75133

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing