LIMEKILN 40M TO SOUTH EAST OF OLD POST OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138210

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: LIMEKILN 40M TO SOUTH EAST OF OLD POST OFFICE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEKILN 40M TO SOUTH EAST OF OLD POST OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 06:35:15.

Location

Statutory Address: LIMEKILN 40M TO SOUTH EAST OF OLD POST OFFICE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Morval

National Grid Reference: SX2492756831

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 25 NW MORVAL SANDPLACE

3/75 Limekiln 40m to south east of Old - Post Office

GV II

Limekiln. Possibly C18. Stone rubble with round arched dressed stone openings with deeply splayed reveals. Rectangular in plan probably with 2 cylindrical chambers within. Openings on right and left with further half round arch on front leading to third grate served by right-hand chamber. Flat top, built into side of steep slope to aid top loading with road access from left. Much overgrown at time of inspection. Built about 60m to east of East Looe River and Liskeard and Union Canal which was authorised in 1825 for agricultural work linking Liskeard with the tidal water at Looe. Limestone carried by barge was burnt at the 4 limekilns at Sandplace (qv Limekiln Cottage and limekiln adjoining to left, limekiln 40m south east of Old Post Office, Limekiln on A 387 to north of Bamada and Limekilns adjoining Higher Cliff in Duloe Parish). The canal was later replaced by the Liskeard and Caradon Railway opened in 1846. Full accounts for the canal including plans and sections, correspondence and list of land use in Cornwall County Record Office. Records extant for erection of limekilns at Sandplace by John Francis Buller of Morval in 1743 and 1766-67 (Anthony : BA/20/17b). Farm accounts reveal that Morval lands received a heavy dressing of lime to counteract the acidity of the soil making it suitable for wheat and barley. An annual lease of 1777 required each acre of land to be dressed with 80 horse loads of good salt, sea sand or four 16 gallon bushels of lime. Cornwall Record Office Turnpikes, Canal and Ferries Handlist No. 5, 1983 Pounds, N.J.G. 'Barton Farming in Eighteenth Century Cornwall'. Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, New Series, Volume VII, part I, 1973, 55-75

Listing NGR: SX2492756831

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60734

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Turnpikes Canals and Ferries, (1983)
'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall, , Vol. 7, (1973), 55-75

End of official listing