This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1138242



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75428

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



(West side) 7/87 Flats A, B, C, D, & E Grandy Nook 14-4-69 (previously listed as nos 52, 54, & 56) II

House(s), now subdivided into flats. 1659 date on stone panel set in gable of rear wing; initials T. & K.S., for Thomas Sandes (founder of Sandes Hospital in Highgate) and Katherine, his wife. 2nd panel (originally oak) above front door of northern block: T. & I.F. 1669. Restored 1864 for John Fisher; later additions and alterations. Slobbered rubble with wide plinth to south return. Graduated slate roofs with gabled dormers and full-height rear wing to southern block; stone end chimneys. Southern block: Roughly symmetrical; 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays. 2 central C19 studded doors side by side: wooden oriel above and 2 wood-mullioned and transomed windows to each floor on either side. Dripstone over ground-floor windows. Northern block: Symmetrical; 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central C19 studded door under canopy on consoles; wood-mullioned and transomed window to each floor on either side (hoodmoulds with labels to ground floor). Door to rear wing has moulded jambs and false 4-centred head; 2 porches added to rear of northern block. For details of dated interior features see R.C.H.M. Westmorland (1936) p.129 items 60 and 61; strapwork frieze (dated 1666) recorded by R.C.H.M. was not seen during listing re-survey (April 1984) and balustrade was said to have been removed.

Listing NGR: SD5124892866

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 129

National Grid Reference: SD 51248 92866


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 07:57:59.

End of official listing