CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ADJOINING COMMUNITY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138257

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ADJOINING COMMUNITY HALL, WASHINGTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ADJOINING COMMUNITY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:59:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ADJOINING COMMUNITY HALL, WASHINGTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale (District Authority)

Parish: Workington

National Grid Reference: NY 00432 28499

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/10/2012

NY 0028 10/79 6.6.51

WORKINGTON WASHINGTON STREET (West side) Workington Church of St John and adjoining Community Hall

(Formerly listed as Church of St John and adjoining parish room)

II*

Chapel of ease, now parish church and community hall. 1822-23 by Thomas Hardwick with 1846 and 1888 additions. Hammer-dressed calciferous sandstone, from Schoose and Hunday Quarries, with ashlar eaves, pilasters and plinth. Graduated green-slate roof with modillioned overhanging eaves and gable pediments.

PLAN: 5-bay nave/- chancel with west portico; 1846 west square ridge tower under bell cupola; north vestry , and attached community hall, added 1881, to east.

EXTERIOR: Chapel with double panelled west doors with patterned over-light in stone architrave under plain frieze and console-bracketed cornice; flanking panelled doors in stone architraves under large round-headed niches, all within tetrastyle Tuscan portico. Tall round-headed side windows in stone architraves.

INTERIOR: Interior galleries on 3 sides on slender fluted cast iron columns, the rear of the galleries with segmental recesses to light pews below. Flat plaster ceiling with geometricl ribs and coats-of-arms. Baldacchino and font cover by J N Comper, 1930. Tall C20 carved oak pulpit. Community hall adjoins east wall, the north gable doorway offset to left, with ashlar surround dated 1881 below drip mould, and with 3-light mullioned windows, one to the left, and one above to gable centre at first floor level. Tall, 3-light side wall windows light interior, the greater part of which is open beneath decorative hammer beam roof trusses.

HISTORY: The church was built in the style of St Paul's, Covent Garden at the cost of £10,000, by the architect who restored that church.



Listing NGR: NY0043228499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 72304

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing