SECTION OF CHURCHYARD WALL AT EAST END OF CHURCHYARD OF ST SWITHUN'S WITH BUILT IN FRAGMENTS AND TWO SEATS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138272

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: SECTION OF CHURCHYARD WALL AT EAST END OF CHURCHYARD OF ST SWITHUN'S WITH BUILT IN FRAGMENTS AND TWO SEATS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SECTION OF CHURCHYARD WALL AT EAST END OF CHURCHYARD OF ST SWITHUN'S WITH BUILT IN FRAGMENTS AND TWO SEATS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 08:14:04.

Location

Statutory Address: SECTION OF CHURCHYARD WALL AT EAST END OF CHURCHYARD OF ST SWITHUN'S WITH BUILT IN FRAGMENTS AND TWO SEATS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bathford

National Grid Reference: ST 78904 66572

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET (South-east side) 9/51 Section of churchyard wall G.V. at east end of churchyard of St. Swithun's with built- in fragments and two seats.

II

Churchyard wall, including fragments of Romanesque carving and 2 ashlar seats. The wall is circa 1870 but the fragments are C12th and were found when the old chancel arch was demolished in 1870. Rubble walls; ashlar seats and hoods; freestone carving. To left 2 plain ashlar seats, in recesses and under stone hoods on brackets. To right: a shallow, plain piscina with a segmental head. Under a flat stone hood on brackets are the Romanesque fragments; consisting of a much mutilated figure of an ?angel (or possibly a bishop - Swithin) flanked by 2 engaged columns with Chevron and bead decoration and coarse cushion-type capitals; fragments of a decorated round arch with dogtooth moulding.

Listing NGR: ST7890466572

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32220

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing