CAMELFORD METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138307

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: CAMELFORD METHODIST CHURCH, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAMELFORD METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 08:57:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CAMELFORD METHODIST CHURCH, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Camelford

National Grid Reference: SX 10611 83763

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford SX 1083 -1183 8/75 Camelford Methodist Church - GV II

Methodist chapel. 1837 interior remodelled in 1980s. Stone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with hipped ends and gable end to front, to right of centre. Plan: deep rectangular plan. Original chapel possibly comprised main range near centre which is set slightly forward and has a gable end to the road. Probably extended to right with small room over alleyway and to left to accommodate Sunday School. Exterior : Front elevation with gable end of possible earlier range to right of centre; stone rubble ramp with iron railings up to entrance in gable end with C20 plank double doors in partly blocked 2-centred arched opening and wrought-iron grates to basement windows on right and left. 2 tall 2-light lancet windows above with intersecting glazing bars and niche in gable end. To left, blocked door and two 2- light rectangular openings with tall rectangular window and 2-light lancet window above. To right, segmental rusticated granite arch to alley with 2-light window above. Interior remodelled in 1980s. The chapel when opened in 1837 was described by the West Briton as 'a neat building and an ornament to the town'. Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, 1963. Stell, C RCHM unpublished inventory of non-conformist.

Listing NGR: SX1061183763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68517

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)
'The West Briton' in The West Briton, (1837)

End of official listing