CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1138313
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138313.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:06:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Hognaston
National Grid Reference:
SK 23522 50585

Details

SK 25 SW PARISH OF HOGNASTON MAIN STREET 2/17 (East Side) 13.9.67 Church of St GV Bartholomew II*

Church. 1879-81 by F J Robinson incorporating earlier parts and C13 west tower. Tower of coursed gritstone, nave and chancel of limestone ashlar. West tower, nave and chancel each with north aisle, and massive west buttress. The buttress is contemporary with the slightly later second stage with small lancets. Perp top with flat headed 2-light mullioned windows, battlements and C19 pinnacles. The 1879-81 work is in the EE style with plate tracery and lancets. C12 south doorway with one order of colonnettes, chevron moulding over the arch and a tympanum with surprisingly crude incised pictures. Three bay nave north arcade and two bay chancel north arcade, with foliage capitals. C13 tower arch, three-stepped on the simplest imposts. C14 chancel arch with C19 responds. C12 tub-shaped font with short stumpy arcades on C19 base. Good interior features of c1881 include the pulpit with blue John bosses, marble reredos, tiled chancel floor and brass altar rails, lectern and candle holders on choir stalls.

Listing NGR: SK2352250585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
80070
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11448/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Millett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].