This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM TO NORTH EAST OF NUMBER 40

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM TO NORTH EAST OF NUMBER 40

List entry Number: 1138339

Location

UNITARIAN CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM TO NORTH EAST OF NUMBER 40, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75451

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 5192 NE KENDAL MARKET PLACE (Off East end)

8/109 Unitarian Chapel & schoolroom to north- 14-4-69 east of no 40 - G.V. II

Chapel and schoolroom. Chapel dated 1720 on rainwater head; re-roofed mid c19. Restored, and schoolroom added, 1882. Built for Unitarians. Chapel: incised stucco on chamfered plinth. Wooden gutter on dentils; both rainwater-heads are set between 2 small faces (cherubs?) in wreaths. Graduated slate roof. Symmetrical. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Single storey porch (added, 1882?) of stone blocks with diagonal buttresses under hipped roof with gable over door: Linenfold panelling to double doors in segmental-headed surround with decorative labels to hoodmould; 3-light stone-mullioned window to either side. Tall, 2-light, wood-mullioned and transomed window to either side of porch; five 2-light, wood-mullioned, windows above. 2 strengthening ties between floors. Schoolroom (adjoining to north): Coursed, squared rubble. Graduated slate roof with large skylight; conical iron vent. Single storey, 3 bays. Gabled porch with panelled, segmental-headed door; C20 sash, in original opening, and 2-light wood-mullioned and transomed window to right. Very good set of finely carved early C18 tombstones fastened to walls.

Listing NGR: SD5162892825

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51628 92825

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:34:54.

End of official listing