This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1138348

Location

LIBRARY, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford SX 1083 - 1183 8/76 (1/3) Library (previously listed as Town - 19.1.52 Hall) GV II

Townhall erected over market house, now library, exhibition hall and meeting room. 1806. Financed by John, 6th Duke of Bedford. Slate stone rubble with dressed quoins and dressed stone arches to window openings. Rag slate roof with hipped ends. Rectangular plan with internal partitions altered. Originally the market house on the ground floor with a central entrance on the front and the town hall above with a staircase to a doorway at the rear where the ground is at a higher level. Ground rises to left and to rear. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front faces onto Market Place; 5 semi-circular headed windows; the window frames replaced in circa mid C20, the central window in an earlier blocked door opening. First floor has 3 semi-circular windows with horned sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Lower side on right has a C20 glazed door with a Venetian window above, the central horned sash with intersecting glazing bars. The higher side on the left has a C20 door on the ground floor and a Venetian window above with stained glass window with Camelford arms. The wall above has been partly rebuilt. The rear elevation has 4 blocked round headed openings on the ground floor and a central double flight of steps which lead up to the first floor entrance with a C19 timber porch with flat roof and moulded cornice. 2 sash windows with round headed arches and intersecting glazing bars to right and left. Timber cupola on roof with clock and weather vane. This cupola originally had 2 bells dated 1807 and 1699. Interior : remodelled in circa mid C20. Bell from cupola in entrance inscribed 'W. Prideaux Mayor, 1699'. The Charter of Camelford was confirmed in 1259 and the rotten borough was created in 1552 to bolster the Earl of Northumberland's government. The rotten borough was abolished in 1831. Kelly's Directory, 1910. Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872 Volume I.

Listing NGR: SX1057483738

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
'Kellys Directory' in Directory of Cornwall, (1910)

National Grid Reference: SX 10574 83738

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 12:10:34.

End of official listing