Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138355

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jul-1951



Ordnance survey map of WHITE HART HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138355 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:10:12.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ampthill

National Grid Reference: TL 03480 38089


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


600/1/46 DUNSTABLE STREET 17-JUN-51 (East side) 127 WHITE HART HOTEL


Hotel, early C18 with C17 origins discovered during late-C20 restoration work. 3 storeys of red brick, framed by broad stone pilasters at each corner, bands at each upper floor and a moulded cornice below the plain parapet with stone coping. Central entrance with 3 window bays to each side.

FACADE: 7 tall sash windows in broad frames, fluted on ground floor only, within moulded architraves which project forward off the wall. Stone cills. Each architrave broken by a bold keystone. Plain classical stone frame with moulded cornice encloses door of 8 panels (6 fielded), flanked by a pair of engaged and reeded columns. Carriageway to left-hand side, under single storey of plaster with coved eaves and steep tiled roof, leading to a yard with tile-hung and weatherboarded sections of building.

INTERIOR: Possibly two storeys heightened to three with the Georgian remodelling. Central hall with stick baluster stair. Hall and front room to right-hand side have remnants of timber framing including a joweled post. Bressumer above fireplace to front right-hand side room above which is a good surviving and recently uncovered (c.1980s) tripartite coloured wall painting. To centre panel: Prince of Wales (Charles II) feathers in circular frame with painted drapes filling the square panel and bearing the date 1646. Panel to left has thistle and flower motif. First floor room over carriageway has architrave to former door opening possibly of pre-Georgian date. Timber roof with some sections of halved and pegged rafters (in the room over the carriageway entrance, to the rear slope and in the rear right-hand side wing). Brick barrel-vaulted beer cellar running longitudinally and reached by winder stair from back hall.

SOURCES: VCH, page 268.

SPECIAL: No. 127 forms a group with Nos. 1 to 39 (odd) and Court House, Church Street. An early-C18 hotel with recently uncovered C17 wall painting and strong group value.

Listing NGR: TL0348038089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37403

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904), 268

End of official listing