This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEHOUSE AND FORMER ESTATE OFFICE AT ECCLESTON PADDOCKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE AND FORMER ESTATE OFFICE AT ECCLESTON PADDOCKS

List entry Number: 1138378

Location

GATEHOUSE AND FORMER ESTATE OFFICE AT ECCLESTON PADDOCKS, PADDOCK ROAD WITH ACCESS FROM HILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Eccleston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4162 ECCLESTON C.P. PADDOCK ROAD-WEST SIDE AND WITH ACCESS FROM HILL ROAD

7/131 Gatehouse and former Estate Office at Eccleston Paddocks

GV II

Gatehouse (2 storey) and attached L shaped office (1 storey), north, 1883, by John Douglas for the 1st Duke of Westminster. Stone-dressed red brick walls with blue diapering. Hipped red tile roofs: square spire and conical-roofed stair turret to gatehouse; swept eaves, lead finials; weathercock; 2 shaped brick chimneys. Casements (some leaded, others cast iron with small panes) in stone mullioned and transomed openings. Pointed carriage archway with half-dormer over, east (to garden); pointed doorway to office from garden with 24 panel oak door; Tudor arched doorway from courtyard (west) with boarded door; ornate wrought iron hinges and handles. Interior: Not inspected.

The Gatehouse and-former Estate Office are an integral part of Douglas's design for Eccleston Paddocks (q.v.) as illustrated in The Building News V.45, 1883 (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ4115062401

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in Building News, , Vol. 45, (1883)

National Grid Reference: SJ 41150 62401

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138378 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:24:01.

End of official listing