PARROT HOUSE AT NORTH END OF BROAD WALK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138401

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: PARROT HOUSE AT NORTH END OF BROAD WALK, EAST GARDEN TO HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARROT HOUSE AT NORTH END OF BROAD WALK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 19:45:16.

Location

Statutory Address: PARROT HOUSE AT NORTH END OF BROAD WALK, EAST GARDEN TO HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Eaton

National Grid Reference: SJ 41594 60870

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4160 EATON C.P. EAST GARDEN TO HALL Eaton Park

9/84 Parrot House at north end of Broad Walk

GV II

Former Parrot House, 1881-3, by Alfred Waterhouse for 1st Duke of Westminster. Yellow terracotta. Designed in the form of a circular colonnaded Ionic temple with shallow domed roof. Frieze of swags above the colonnade; concentric balustrades above the colonnade and the inner drum. Flight of 11 steps to south entrance; projecting heating chamber to north. Interior: 4 semi-circular niches in central chamber and one on each side of lobby to heating chamber. Frieze of griffins below clerestory; caryatids between clerestory windows carry the dome. The Parrot House was incorporated in Detmar Blow's redesign of the east garden (1911) as the north terminal of the main cross axis.

Listing NGR: SJ4159360870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55280

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

End of official listing