PAIR OF FOLDING GATES WITH SCREENS AND PIERS AT SOUTH END OF SOUTHERN GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1138406
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF FOLDING GATES WITH SCREENS AND PIERS AT SOUTH END OF SOUTHERN GARDENS, SOUTHERN GARDEN TO EATON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF FOLDING GATES WITH SCREENS AND PIERS AT SOUTH END OF SOUTHERN GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 04:44:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF FOLDING GATES WITH SCREENS AND PIERS AT SOUTH END OF SOUTHERN GARDENS, SOUTHERN GARDEN TO EATON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eaton
National Grid Reference:
SJ4138460554

Details

SJ 4160 9/96

EATON C.P. SOUTHERN GARDEN TO EATON HALL

Pair of Folding Gates with Screens and Piers at south end of Southern Gardens

II

Pair of Folding Gates, circa 1896, attributed to Edwin Lutyens, for 1st Duke of Westminster. The Piers are later. Black wrought iron gates and screens and stone piers. The vertical rails and scrollwork of the gates represent formalised trees. Narrow, taller, sidescreens of scrollwork. Square rusticated stone piers with heads of putti on inner faces. There appear to have been trimmed yew hedges to each side of the gate screens in 1901, but no piers. Country Life April 20th 1901 (photograph).

Listing NGR: SJ 41384 60554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55292
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 20 April, (1901)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00343/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].