This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALVANLEY SCHOOL AND FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALVANLEY SCHOOL AND FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1138487

Location

ALVANLEY SCHOOL AND FORMER SCHOOLMASTER'S HOUSE, MANLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Alvanley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALVANLEY C.P. MANLEY ROAD SJ 47 SE South East Side 4/20 Alvanley School and former Schoolmaster's House. GV II Village school and schoolmaster's house circa 1860, possibly by J S Crowther. Brown brick; stone dressings; grey slate roof. In C13 manner. L-shaped school with projecting cross-gable right; 1 1/2 storey schoolmaster's house forms cross-gable left. Brickwork almost wholly in header bond. The central bay has a triple lancet window to schoolroom under a flush gable, with door to left in steeply shoulder-arched opening. Diminishing chimney with octagonal shaft of stone at junction of central bay and right cross-wing. The cross-wing has window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to front, a clock under gabled canopy on brackets and a small steepled belfry containing C17 bell from the church opposite (q.v.) which was rebuilt in 1860. Right side of cross-wing has 1 flush gable and 1 projecting gable, each with a triple lancet window. Schoolmaster's house has boarded door in shoulder-arched opening with trefoil overlight, a 4-light mullioned and transomed window and a 3-light leaded lattice dormer over. A pleasing, informal composition. Interior of school altered. "The church (St. John's q.v.) has character and the school more so" - Pevsner. The two buildings are of compatible character. Hence the tentative attribution of the school to J S Crowther.

Listing NGR: SJ4968574040

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49685 74040

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:11:40.

End of official listing