Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138491.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:20:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 55584 78464


ASTON BY SUTTON C.P. ASTON LANE SJ 57 NE South West Side 3/27 Church of St. Peter, 8/1/1970 GV I Church, chancel circa 1695, nave finished 1736, both on ground plan as in 1635, of red sandstone ashlar; roofs of small grey slates, that to nave graded. Nave with west cupola belfry and north and south porches; chancel. 4-bay nave has porches on 2nd bay from west and round-arched windows in architraves with moulded cills, capitals and keystones. Moulded plinth; plain pilasters facing north and south at corners carry plain frieze touching window keystones; moulded cornice; parapet with projecting panel at each corner and at centre of north and south sides, and raised (with consoles) over south porch to contain sundial surmounted by winged angel. Nailed oak boarded doors in round-arched porches with coped gables, 1736 inscribed on north porch gable. Bell cupola projects from west end, with circular window to choir gallery, clock in upper stage and consoles bearing octagonal belfy with stone cupola. Chancel has plain rectangular plinth and rusticated quoins; cornice and parapet; blank north face contains nailed boarded oak door in Roman Doric pedimented case; south side has 3 round-arched windows with reeded arrises to reveals and no imposts or keystones. Circular east window has niche to each side with raised panel below and recessed panel above. Interior. Choir gallery (organ installed 1906) with stair (2 turned balusters per step on each side, moulded rails and robust curtails) and panelled soffits. Oak pews with panelled backs and panelled doors on H hinges; oak pulpit of C17 character. Deep segmental chancel arch with archivolts on imposts and panelled intrados. Oak dado of C17 character to sides and east end of chancel. Chancel rail of oak with turned balusters; C17 altar table, vigorously expressed, with deep ovolo faces and shaped diagonally-set legs. Light moulded plaster ceiling with oval-ended central panel. Fine set of tablets in chancel to Aston family, 1635-1839, notably Thomas (died 1635), Magdalen (died 1635), Sir Willoughby Aston 1641-1702, Dame Rebecca 1737, Sir Thomas Aston (by Nost) and his brother John erected by their heir 1697. In the nave a good plaque to Thomas Hibbert, steward to Sir Willoughby Aston, and C19 tablets. A most pleasing late C17/early C18 church, inside and out, damaged by bombs during the 2nd World War and subsequently carefully restored and reglazed. Raymond Richards Old Cheshire churches: Pevsner and Hubbard The Buildings of England; Cheshire

Listing NGR: SJ5557878464


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1947)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07784/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].