This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATEHOUSE TO FORMER RIDLEY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE TO FORMER RIDLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1138584

Location

GATEHOUSE TO FORMER RIDLEY HALL, WREXHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ridley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 55 SW RIDLEY C.P. WREXHAM ROAD

4/30 Gatehouse to former Ridley Hall.

II*

Gatehouse, circa 1530 (Leland's Report). Stone and brick with roof of large slates. Archway with floor above. Front and rear walls mainly coursed stonework, passageway walls between the arched openings mainly brickwork. The facade (south) has projecting plinth, ovolo moulded quoins to archway, plain imposts and ovolo moulded segmental arch with scotia hood mould. The stonework is separated from the brick section above by a slender ogee cornice. At the crown of the arch the cornice supports a carved stone achievement of arms consisting of the Egerton escutcheon flanked by term pilasters, with heads, and scrolls supporting horn players and animals. This is set in a brick wall with quoins which supports the roof. The rear (north) archway is similar to the facade but the imposts are moulded and there are no arms in the brick area above the stone cornice. Interior: The ceiling, between the two arches, has ovolo moulded beams front and rear, an ovolo moulded main beam, and large section stop chamfered joists supporting the oak boarded floor above. The pitched roof over the gatehouse has been retimbered but some chamfered purlins remain. Later farm buildings flank the archway east and west. This structure may be all that remains of the "fine Ridley Hall" mentioned in Leland's Itinerary of 1530, in which case it is among the earlier Classical Structures of the region.

Listing NGR: SJ5469354755

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Toulmin Smith, L, The Itinerary of John Leland in or about the Years 1535-1543, (1964)

National Grid Reference: SJ5469354755

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:49:22.

End of official listing