FORMER STABLES AT CREWE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138667

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1975

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES AT CREWE HALL, CREWE HALL PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLES AT CREWE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:37:04.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES AT CREWE HALL, CREWE HALL PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Crewe Green

National Grid Reference: SJ 73243 53999

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 75 SW CREWE C.P. CREWE HALL PARK

5/18 Former Stables at Crewe Hall 20.1.75 GV II*

Former stables, circa 1636, with tower circa 1837 by Blore. Now laboratories and offices. Red brick with tiled roof. Built in quadrangle form with buildings around four sides of a rectangular yard. Main elevation, east, is of 9 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Central semi-circular arched opening of stone, with springers and keystone, flanked by pilasters with recessed panel and 2-light stone dressed mullion windows. The tower, which rises above the opening, is flanked by a strapwork blind arcade and passes through the eaves cornice and parapet. At this level there is a 2-light window with vertical arrow slots above. There are clock faces in stone surrounds, bell chamber with arched openings and ogee cupola with corner finials. The end bays have stone dressed quoins. The second, fourth, sixth and eighth-bays are set forward and have 3 finial shaped gables. Mainly three-light mullion windows but two-light attic windows in the shaped gables. A brick modillion course supports the stone cornice and brick openwork parapet with stone coping. The north and south gables of the facade are shaped, there are shaped tiles in the roof and an ornate crested ridge. The north and south elevations have large semi-circular arched rusticated carriage openings with springers and horse head keystones under shaped gables. The walls in the carriageway tunnels have bands of blue bricks. The eaves treatment is a brick modillion course, stone cornice, and brick parapet with stone coping to match the east elevation. The west building has twelve segmental arched openings, with keystones, with access from the enclosed yard. At roof level the buildings are built as four gabled blocks. There are chimneys to the former living quarters in the buildings with high-standing octagonal flues linked at cap level. Interior: Altered.

Listing NGR: SJ7324353999

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56662

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

End of official listing