TOWER OF CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138680

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: TOWER OF CHRIST CHURCH, PRINCE ALBERT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER OF CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:46:36.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER OF CHRIST CHURCH, PRINCE ALBERT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 70632 55608

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE PRINCE ALBERT STREET

2/55 Tower of Christ Church

II

Church tower, 1877 (Pevsner) by J W Stansby, Engineer. Yellow sandstone square tower linked to the mainly brick outer walls of the 1843 church by John Cunningham, which had its roof removed and was gutted in 1978. Tower is of coursed rock faced rubble masonry with reducing angle buttresses. The chevron pattern boarded west door is in a gothic opening, flanked by single shafts, and surmounted by hood mould with stops carved as faces. Above the entrance there is a large window with geometrical tracery. Windows in north and south faces are at two levels, in partly blind arcades formed by shafts, lancet at the lower level and trefoil headed above. Clock dials to four sides, set in flat diaper panels of square carved masonry blocks. There are treble louvred lancets at bell stage divided by coupled shafts with rings. Octagonal pinnacles with shafts and lancet sinkings form the angles and flank the stepped and crocketted gabled parapet.

Listing NGR: SJ7063255608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56698

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing