CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138757

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CREWE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 08:40:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CREWE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alsager

National Grid Reference: SJ 79535 55475

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALSAGER FORMER U.D. CREWE ROAD SJ 75 NE 6/7 Church of St Mary Magdalene - - II

Church. 1894-98. By Austin and Paley. Red sandstone ashlar with a plain tile roof. Western tower, aisled nave and chancel with north-eastern organ chamber and vestry. Tower: (intended to be taller with a steeple); it has diagonal buttresses. The west face has a central window of 4 lights with cusped tracery and double casement-moulded surround and hood mould. The south face has a semi-octagonal stair turret to left. Nave, south side: the aisle has a projecting porch at left with diagonal buttresses and a 4-centred arch with rosettes superimposed over the arch mouldings. Niche containing statue of the patron saint over the doorway. Hipped roof with lead finial. To right of this are 5 aisle windows, one having 2 lights and four having 3 lights, with Decorated tracery. The clerestory has five 2-light windows with flat heads. The north side is similar save for a lower projecting porch at right and five windows of 3 lights to the aisles. Chancel: the south side has three windows of 2 lights with flat heads and hood moulds divided by buttresses with off-sets. The north side has a vestry and organ chamber at left with hipped and gabled roofs respectively. The east end has a central window of 6 lights with cinquefoil heads and quatrefoils to the apex. Interior: Double-chamfered tower arch. The thick side walls of the tower have panelled, pointed arched passages to their centres. The aisle arcades of 5 bays have elliptical piers, each with 4 fillets and the arch mouldings die into these piers. The chancel arch has similarly shaped responds. The aisle and clerestory windows all have chamfered surrounds. The nave roof has a wooden barrel vault with arched braces supported on ashlar corbels with tie beams and king posts from which spring curved struts. The chancel has a 2-bay arcade to its northern wall leading to the vestry and organ chamber with a central pier similar to those of the nave arcades. The southern and eastern window reveals have colonettes to either side. Piscina and sedilia to the lower southern wall. Reredos and chancel screen of 1926 showing late Gothic revival carving of high quality. Square font beneath the tower with chamfered corners.

Listing NGR: SJ7953555475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56477

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing