MILEPOST ADJACENT TO LOCKS 47, CHURCH LAWTON TOP LOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138765

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: MILEPOST ADJACENT TO LOCKS 47, CHURCH LAWTON TOP LOCK, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILEPOST ADJACENT TO LOCKS 47, CHURCH LAWTON TOP LOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138765 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 11:43:19.

Location

Statutory Address: MILEPOST ADJACENT TO LOCKS 47, CHURCH LAWTON TOP LOCK, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Church Lawton

National Grid Reference: SJ 81936 56006

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/2013

SJ 85 NW 8193 5603 7/30

CHURCH LAWTON C.P. TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL Milepost adjacent to Locks 47, Church Lawton Top Lock

(Formerly listed as Canal Milepost)

II

Canal milepost. Dated "R & D Stone 1819" on shaft. Cast iron painted black and white. Circular post with moulded head and embossed letters on 2 convex tablets below: "Shardlow 64 miles" "Preston Brook 28 miles". Probably cast in the foundry of Rangeley and Dixon in Lichfield Street, Stone*. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Charles Hadfield,

Listing NGR: SJ8193656006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56501

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1966)
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)

End of official listing