This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOL COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1138826

Location

SCHOOL COTTAGES, WALNUT TREE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bradwall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56333

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADWALL C.P. WALNUT TREE LANE SJ 76 SE (North side) 7/3 School Cottages

II

Reformatory school and farm, now cottages, 1855 (datestone). Brown brick with dark clay tile roof to front and grey slate to rear. 2 storeys; 3 windows to front, symmetrical. Camber-arched entry, ovolo front gable, converted to doorway with 2-light small-pane window above. One 3-light small-pane casement to each storey to each side of doorway. The building surrounds a rectangular courtyard; the rear wing has 3 camber-arched openings to courtyard; the front, left and right ranges are converted to cottages; cast-iron lattice casements in left side of courtyard. 2 ridge chimneys each to front, left and right wings. Interior: Not fully inspected; no features of special interest were observed. Founded by G W Latham 1855, with subscriptions from neighbouring landowners, the school cost £255. There were 40 acres of farmland. Superintendent and 4 masters; 60 boys, who were taught farmwork, but with 3 hours schoolwork per day plus household duties. White's Directory of Cheshire 1860.

Listing NGR: SJ7555363911

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazeteer and Directory of Cheshire, (1860)

National Grid Reference: SJ 75553 63911

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:39:27.

End of official listing