MOTTRAM OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138842

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: MOTTRAM OLD HALL, WILMSLOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOTTRAM OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138842 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:06:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MOTTRAM OLD HALL, WILMSLOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mottram St. Andrew

National Grid Reference: SJ 88353 79119

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 87 NE MOTTRAM ST.ANDREW C.P. WILMSLOW ROAD (North Side)

5/93 Mottram Old Hall 25/7/1952

GV II*

Manor House: late Medieval origins with early C16 work, early C17 extensions and repairs of early and late C18 with 2 periods of C20 restoration. Ashlar sandstone lower storey, timber framed upper portions, brick repairs to sides and rear. Kerridge stone-slate roof and some concrete tiling. 2 stone and 1 brick chimneys. Square portion to left, has parts of original semi-fortified house. Expanded in early C17 to E-plan but now reduced to 3 sides of a small courtyard, 3- storey north front. Left 2 bays are of original portion. Tall stone plinth has 2 2-light chamfered stone mullions. Heavy major timbering above with tension bracing and weak studding. 1st storey has 2 inserted C17 5-light .ovolo-moulded wooden windows. Above these are a now painted coving, a moulded tie-beam and a blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed window in a gable. Added to right is an L-shaped portion. The plinth has lesser stonework and remainder more irregular timber framing with weak tension bracing. 1st storey has ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows and top storey similar mullioned windows and in the corner a quadrant oriel. Chamfered stone doorcase to west range. At junction of 2 portions is a tall stone chimney with a chamfered coping, part of an embrasure and at the rear a round headed light. Behind the chimney is an open passage with an early C17 door to right with ovolo-moulded panels and studding. To rear stone plinth has mullioned windows, one of 10 lights and Flemish bond brickwork with cambered brick heads to C20 windows with glazing bars.

Interior: Eastern portion has a stone +-cellar or undercroft with large brick-arched ovens and a deeply rebated 4-centred arched doorcase. Tension braces visible in internal walls above. Much of upper work early C17, chamfered stone fireplaces, bead-moulding on staircase posts and cyma-moulded wooden doorcases. Also C18 plasterwork and ceiling covings. Added L-shaped portion has more consistent early C17 work, chamfered stone fireplaces, chamfered ceiling beams and trusses of tiebeam and 2 diagonal struts. Some added corner fireplaces.

The origin of the existing structure was a moated semi-fortified manor house probably of C15 date of which there are 2 others at least in the Macclesfield area. Much later building, alterations and demolition make a very complicated surviving portion.

Listing NGR: SJ8835379119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58259

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing