THE OLD POST OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138899

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD POST OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138899 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:35:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD POST OFFICE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SJ 98356 68749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILDBOARCLOUGH C.P. SJ 96 NE 3/9 The Old Post Office. 25/7/1952 GV II House, formerly post office and postmaster's house with village hall on upper storey; originally offices of Crag Works, early C19, with 3-storey porch probably mid C19. Of coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and Kerridge stone-slate roof with coped gables and small gable chimneys. 3 storeys, 7 windows with central 3-storey porch capped with an open Doric pediment. The arched doorway has double doors with raised ellipse-on-cross upper panels surmounted by a radial-bar fan. Segmental pedimented recessed fixed-light 25-pane wooden windows to upper storeys above doorway. Other window to front and rear are of cast iron with 35 panes (lower storey, front) and 30 panes and inset casements. Steep bank to right with external stone steps and causeway giving access to upper storey (former loading door blocked). Interior 4-panel doors. Cased iron I-beams. Stone stairs in walled well, the steps later cased in softwood.

The Crag Works, of which the Old Post Office is the only surviving part, was built as a water-powered carpet works; it was built with Crag Hall before 1819. (Brian S Beeken, Crag Works, Wildboarclough; Greenwoods Map 1819; Bryants Map 1831; Tithe Map 1849).

Listing NGR: SJ9835668749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58103

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beeken, B S, Crag Works Wildboarclouh

End of official listing