This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1138907

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, LEEK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bosley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOSLEY C.P. LEEK ROAD (West Side) SJ 96 NW 1/7 Church of St.Mary the Virgin 14/4/1967

GV II*

Church, tower circa 1500, nave 1777, chancel 1834 by James Green. Tower red sandstone; nave and chancel Flemish bond red brick with roofs of large grey slates. Tower of 3 stages has C19 boarded west door in medieval arch, diagonal buttresses with tooled quoins above, roughly-squared rubble walls, west window of 2 trefoil lights, bell-openings converted to 3 trefoil lights 1878-9, hoodmoulds on grotesque and head corbels. Top 6 feet and battlements are of 1878-9. Four-bay nave has 6 pointed windows with stone pads and keystones and 2 windows (east) altered and with stone cases of 1834. One-bay chancel has 3-lancet stone east window, lancet south window and C20 north window of 2 lancets. Coped east gable to nave with kneelers and crocketed finial; hipped chancel. Interior: Queenpost trusses to nave, partly of oak; plaster walls; round chancel arch; light C20 Geometrical roodscreen of oak; glass of late C19 and late C20. Good mid C17 oak pulpit on pillar has panels and corner colonettes; organ 1879; parish chest probably late C16; C19 stone font; plain oak pews; monument to John William Nowell, railway engineer, 1806-51 by Sanders, Euston Road. 6 bells; 3 are old (1663, 1756 and 1756), with inscriptions.

Listing NGR: SJ9181165546

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 91811 65546

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138907 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:31:07.

End of official listing