CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138927

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138927 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 19:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Rainow

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SJ 98386 76589

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NE RAINOW C.P. SALTERSFORD

3/150 Church of St John the Baptist

14/4/67

II*

Church: nave and chancel dated 1733 and built by local subscription and tower added 1755. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 1 stone chimney. 2-storey nave, 1-storey chancel and vestry and low 3-stage, saddleback tower. Nave has 3 fixed 20-pane windows below and 2 above. East window of chancel is 3-light casement with lancet above. Studded 5-board west door has rubble segmental head. Breaking projecting rubble band above are 2 stones the upper reading "3 :John : Bap:ts. Free Chapel was, June 24th 1733, Erected". Partly erased tablet below reads "....At John Slacks expence in 39 made sacred for worship of Almighty God". 2nd stage of tower has door to gallery on south side reached by external stone steps, and 3rd stage has rectangular bell openings with stone flag louvring. Interior: West porch has stone flag seats. Nave has west gallery and complete set of simple oak box pews, a pulpit and carved reader's desk. Chancel opening has a wooden lintel from which hangs a screen with turned balusters. Similar balusters in altar rail and wainscotting behind altar.

A very picturesque church in its moorland setting, built in a vernacular style with its interior and exterior surviving intact. Also known as Jenkin Chapel.

Listing NGR: SJ9838676589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58061

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing