GROVE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138938

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-2003

Statutory Address: GROVE MILL, LUMHOLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROVE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 05:00:36.

Location

Statutory Address: GROVE MILL, LUMHOLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kettleshulme

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SJ 98820 80378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 98 SE KETTLESHULME C.P. LUMHOLE ROAD (North Side)

1/78

16/7/1979 Grove Mill (formerly Lumhole Mill)

GV II*

Candlewick Mill: late C18 origins but major rebuilding c.1830 for Shallcross and Sheldon Ltd. with later C19 extensions at either end. Coursed, square, buff, sandstone rubble. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 2 stone chimneys. 3-storey, 9-bay north front to original mill. 9-pane fixed iron windows with plain lintels and sills. Vehicle entrance under steel lintel inserted c.1980. 1-bay beam engine house and lean-to boilerhouse containing Cornish boiler added to left. 2-bays added to right have single storey building in front which contained a hand-fired gas retort; the chimney is in the corner. South front has projecting staircase tower under a gabled roof with loading bays and setting for a clock. A steel channel carries water from the pool to the waterwheel. Interior: Ground and 1st floors fire damaged. Housed at east end is a 26ft. diameter all-iron overshot, waterwheel, which is twinned with a double-action condensing beam engine, by Sherratts of Salford added c.1840. Much of the gearing and drive is intact. There is a spiral stone staircase in the tower.

Considered to be the last example of a mill where water-powered and steam machinery were used together and survive intact.

Listing NGR: SJ9882080378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57991

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing