CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138997

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:06:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bollington

National Grid Reference: SJ 93899 77781

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 97 NW BOLLINGTON CHURCH STREET (West Side)

2/14 Church of St. John the Baptist.

II

Church: 1832-4 by Hayley and Brown for the Church Commissioners. Hammer-dressed buff sandstone with ashlar dressings, and Welsh slate roof. The church has a 5-bay nave, short chancel, west tower and small vestry at the east. Bays of nave, divided by set-back buttresses, have tall splayed 2-light windows with Y-tracery, under a continuous label mould. Embattled parapets. Nave ends in octagonal buttresses with pointed finials. Similar buttresses to chancel which has a triple lancet window. 4-stage tower has similar corner buttresses and on flanking walls. Rebated pointed west doorcase has a 3-light window with intersecting tracery above. 3rd stage has a clock and 4th stage louvred bell openings similar to nave windows. Embattled top. Interior: Galleries on 3 sides, erected 1854, have lancet moulded panels, and are supported on clusters of 4 thin iron columns. Remainder of interior altered.

Listing NGR: SJ9389977781

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57931

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing