CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139029

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:51:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stoke

National Grid Reference: SJ 42365 73283

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 47SW STOAK C.P. CHURCH LANE

4/34 Church of St Lawrence

1.6.67

GV II*

Church mostly 1827 by George Edgecumbe, chancel is Perpendicular. On site of Saxon chapel. Red sandstone, slate roofs. Cruciform plan, west tower, nave, north and south transepts, chancel. Embattled and buttressed tower in C15th style. West end has arched door with rectangular hood, deeply recessed, 2-light hooded window, clock in lozenge tablet, 2-light bell opening with rectangular hood. Nave has 4 rectangular hooded windows, in deep recesses, 2 of 2 lights, 2 of one light, alternating and between stepped buttresses. South transept has 3-light Perpendicular style window. 1 bay chancel has east window of 3 lights, with panel tracery. Side windows have 2 cusped lights. Memorial tablet on east wall to Thomas Hill of Stanney, 1809, inscription is on urn in shallow relief, on triangular ground. Square apron supported on stone brackets has inscription to Ann Hill, his wife, 1829. North wall of chancel has inscription RM ST CH[URCH] W [ARDENS] 1698. Interior. Hammer beam roof, of 3½ bays in nave and l½ bays in transepts. Altar 1686/7 has twisted legs and plain bottom rail. Altar rail probably of similar date has twisted balusters and moulded rail. Octagonal panelled pulpit, late C17th or early C18th, on later base. Benches round font have twisted and turned legs, probably early C18th. Fragments of early C16th rood screen with openwork cusped arches, in 1827 gallery. 11 memorial tablets, painted on wood, probably by Randle Holmes, dating 1627-1702, largely to Bunbury family. Tablet, 1685, gift of the poor, painted on wood. One hatchment, painted on wood. Wall tablet, 1668, to Henry Bunbury and family. Marble, oval tablet. Wall tablet, 1682, to Thomas Bunbury marble, square tablet on painted marble ground. Wall monument to Henry Bunbury, dated 1732, erected by his family. Marble, large elaborate cartouche contains Bunbury arms below scroll pediment.

Listing NGR: SJ4236573283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55417

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing