WALKER HOUSE SOUTHERN BLOCK INCLUDING THE COCK TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139058

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: WALKER HOUSE SOUTHERN BLOCK INCLUDING THE COCK TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE, PHOENIX ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALKER HOUSE SOUTHERN BLOCK INCLUDING THE COCK TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 00:09:45.

Location

Statutory Address: WALKER HOUSE SOUTHERN BLOCK INCLUDING THE COCK TAVERN PUBLIC HOUSE, PHOENIX ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29716 83016

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2983SE PHOENIX ROAD 798-1/84/1313 (North side) 13/12/96 Walker House southern block including The Cock Tavern Public House

GV II

Block of council flats and attached public house forming part of the Ossulston Estate. 1929-30. To designs of the LCC Architects' Department under G Topham Forrest. Load-bearing brickwork rendered with coloured roughcast, ground floor channelled to appear as stone; reinforced concrete balconies. Hipped pantiled roofs with dormers and tall chimney-stacks. EXTERIOR: flats: 5 storeys, attics and basement. Long range of flats with central round-arched entrance with voussoirs and keystone. Slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Parapet. Public house: 3 storey and cellars. 4 windows and 6-window return to Chalton Street. Similar style. Public house frontage of transom and mullion windows with plate glass between pillars; main entrance on chamfered ground floor angle. INTERIORS: not inspected. This complex forms a group with Chamberlain House, Phoenix Road (qv) and Levita House, Ossulston Street including the Somers Town Coffee House (qv). HISTORICAL NOTE: despite policy to house as many Londoners as possible on outlying cottage estates pressure of waiting lists and urgency of slum clearance forced Cecil Levita, Chairman of the LCC Housing Committee to review the situation. The Ossulston Estate is the most important inner-city estate of the inter-war period, representing the most considered attempt by the LCC to inject new thinking into inner-city housing estates. It was influenced in particular by Viennese housing models and was innovative in terms of layout and elevation.



Listing NGR: TQ2971683016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477767

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing