CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED WALLS, PIERS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139083

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED WALLS, PIERS AND GATES, PRIORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED WALLS, PIERS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139083 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:11:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED WALLS, PIERS AND GATES, PRIORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25670 84018

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2584SE PRIORY ROAD 798-1/59/1352 (East side) 14/05/74 Church of St Mary and attached walls, piers and gates

GV II

Church. 1856-62. By FJ and Horace Herbert Francis. Coursed Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings. Slated roof. Sanctuary with southern chapel and northern vestry, transepts, 4-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to aisles, and south-west tower. Middle-pointed Gothic style. EXTERIOR: entrances in south side of tower and west end with moulded pointed arches on colonnettes and double doors. Tower has diagonal buttresses, clock on south face, louvred belfry openings and broach spire with lucarnes. 5-light east and west windows; 4-light transepts. Aisles with corbel table. Clerestory with unusual 3-light windows under shallow gables linked to pilasters flanked by colonnettes; Lombard frieze. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to have a fragment of an early C15 brass, being a nun's head, possibly Emma de St Omer the prioress, set in the north transept. Stained glass in chancel by Clayton and Bell; memorial window in north aisle commemorating RJ Pitcher, organist and Professor of Singing at the Guildhall School of Music who invented a device called the Techniquer to help novice organists master the pedals. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached ragstone walls with gate piers and cast-iron gates to entrances. HISTORICAL NOTE: built on the assumed site of the nunnery of Kilburn. (RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: 1925-: 39).







Listing NGR: TQ2567084018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477813

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey, (1925)

End of official listing