THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139127
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:52:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Budworth
National Grid Reference:
SJ 66499 77554

Details

SJ 67 NE GREAT BUDWORTH C.P. SCHOOL LANE South Side

6/97 The Old Schoolhouse (formerly listed as The 30/6/58 Old School)

GV II*

School, now craft shop and meeting room, 1600 for Sir John Deane. Irregular bond small brown brick with red sandstone dressings; stone-slate roof; oak-framed end-gables. 2 storeys, I room; rectangular. Sandstone plinth; flush quoins to corners and door jambs. lower storey has two 4-light windows to front and back, two 5-light windows to upper storey at front; a 5-light window to lower storey in each gable-end and to upper storey in right gable-end. All windows are leaded and have bevelled lintels and jambs with a rectangular groove, flush steeply weathered cills, and recessed bevelled mullions. Oak cross-boarded door. Lateral chimney of 1 flue at rear. Interior: Inserted boarded partition divides stair from shop; 2 ovolo beams, 1 stopped; oak stair of 1 flight with winders at top has plain newel, large moulded rail and 1 heavy vase baluster per step; 2 internal trusses of oak with kingposts and separated raking ties and mortices for attic floor, removed; oak purlins with curved windbraces; balustrade to landing; floor replaced in softwood.

Listing NGR: SJ6649877574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57563
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14655/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham R. Heasman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].