CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139134
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, THE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 09:22:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, THE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 61436 78869

Details

SJ 67 NW WHITLEY C.P. THE VILLAGE Lower Whitley

5/119 Church of St Luke

8/1/70

GV II*

Church, a chapel rebuilt at expense of Thomas Touchet late C16 and roofed early C17; the exterior altered and much restored 1864 and later. English garden wall bond brown brickwork with stone dressings; grey slate roofs. A small church with west porch, north-west bell-turret, organ chamber, 1879, expressed as south transept, chancel and polygonal-apse sanctuary. Softwood-framed west porch on brick plinth; small, square, diminishing turret with 1 bell in stone belfry and slate spire. Mullioned windows of red sandstone have round-arched lights; pointed 3-light East window with rudimentary tracery. Interior: Outstanding hammer-beam arch-braced collar trusses, 4 in nave and 3 in chancel, have richly-carved scrolly console brackets with volutes and foliar patterns on main faces and humorously small Atlases and beasts on the lower scrolls struggling to support the overhanging brackets; good turned drop finials; lower arrises of hammer-beams, principal rafters and purlins have recesses carved with corbel-blocks; split quatrefoil windbraces in chancel. roof. Common rafters and roof-boarding replaced. Pointed stone chancel-arch contemporary with roof. Sanctuary and oak screen look mid-Victorian; organ 1879; late C19 glass in memory of Frances Belcrow.

Listing NGR: SJ6143678869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57588
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].