CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139159

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 21:37:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Delamere

National Grid Reference: SJ 56032 68577

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DELAMERE C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 56 NE (North Side) 6/15 Church of St Peter 3/1/67 GV II

Church: dated 1817 on tower by James Gunnery at the expense of the Freemasons, much altered 1878 and vestry of 1915 (Pevsner and Hubbard). Ashlar buff Manley sandstone. Welsh slate roof. 2-bay nave and south aisle, short transepts, 1-bay chancel, south porch against west tower. Decorated style. Gabled porch has broadly moulded 2-centred arched entrance on colonettes. 3-light rectangular nave windows have trefoil-headed lights. Transept has diagonal buttresses and a 3-light window with reticulated tracery and a label mould. 2-light rectangular window with similar tracery. 4-light east window. North side has a window with Y-tracery from the original building. Small tower has diagonal buttresses and simple bands at each stage. Very plain, chamfered 2-light windows and lancets. Embattled parapet on band with gargoyles; pyramidal cap to tower. Interior: Entry into internal porch and area under the tower. Beneath west window is brass plaque recording the laying of the foundation stone and the architect's name. Short nave has west end with tower arch flanked by doorways with Caernarvon arches. 2-bay arcade to south aisle on plain column. Wide chancel has 2 pierced Gothic arch-braced trusses.

Listing NGR: SJ5603268577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57441

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing