This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEW PALE LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW PALE LODGE

List entry Number: 1139161

Location

NEW PALE LODGE, NEW PALE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Manley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 57444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANLEY C.P. NEW PALE ROAD SJ 57 SW (East Side) 3/18 New Pale Lodge 3/9/1979 II

Formerly farmhouse, now house: dated 1623, 1667 and 1718 with extensive C20 additions and alterations. Dressed tooled buff local sandstone, Lakeland slate roof. 2 projecting gable chimneys. T-shaped plan. 2-storey, 6-bay west front. Left end has massive stepped projecting stack. Left 3 bays have inserted C20 iron casements in enlarged openings. 4th bay has original bead-moulded doorcase with lintel plaque reading P (for Whittingham and Elizabeth Pugh); W E 1718 3-light chamfered stone mullioned window alongside. Right end projects 2 bays forward on chamfered plinth and has a 4-light chamfered mullioned and transomed window to the hall and a 3-light mullioned fire window. Kneelered gable end has a circular light to either side of a projecting stack. South front has central projection but all openings are inserted. C20 extensions to rear. Interior: former hall to right of entrance has bead-moulded stone fireplace with slightly pointed head and a plaque on the lintel reading 1667 (for George and Elizabeth Pugh) and some strapwork P G E details. Bead moulded ceiling beams. Room to rear has( reset stone fireplace with a chamfered surround and WB (for William Boulton) 1623 on the lintel. Room to left of entrance has enormous inglenook fireplace with a chamfered lintel and a slot light. Chamfered and stopped ceiling beams and chamfered joists.

The New Pale was created 'for the preservation of vert and venison' in the early C17 and this lodge was one of only two permanent dwellings in Delamere Forest, until the forest laws were repealed in 1812.

Listing NGR: SJ5247672688

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 52476 72688

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:13:18.

End of official listing