CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139162

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, NORLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139162 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 23:57:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, NORLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Norley

National Grid Reference: SJ 56075 72830

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORLEY C.P. NORLEY ROAD SJ 57 SE (North Side) 4/20 Church of St.John Evangelist

GV II*

Church: 1878-9 by J.L.Pearson. Tooled ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof. Later C13 style, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and vestry, central tower and north transepts. Gabled buttressed porch at left end of south side approached by 11 steps. 2-centred double-chamfered arched entrance on colonnettes. 2-light nave windows with quatrefoil plate tracery. Broad, sturdy tower divides nave and chancel and has a taller similar window in lowest stage, clock in the middle; the top stage has pairs of moulded 2-light louvred bell openings with line of corbelling above. Delicate band of ball ornament carries plain parapet with triangular coping. Lancets in the chancel, and the east end has a trio of tall windows with Y-tracery with a pair of blocked quatrefoils above. Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle whose columns become more ornate towards the sanctuary, from round to multi-shafted. Splayed reveals to aisle and nave windows, and wagon roof to nave. Crossing arches on clusters of colonnettes. Chancel has simple sedilia and oak reredos. Willis organ in the transept. The square font with quatrefoils probably comes from the earlier church of 1835.

Listing NGR: SJ5607572830

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57446

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing