TRANSPORTER BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139267
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
TRANSPORTER BRIDGE, FERRY ROAD, MIDDLESBROUGH
Statutory Address:
TRANSPORTER BRIDGE, PORT CLARENCE ROAD, STOCKTON ON TEES

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRANSPORTER BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139267 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 21:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRANSPORTER BRIDGE, FERRY ROAD, MIDDLESBROUGH
Statutory Address:
TRANSPORTER BRIDGE, PORT CLARENCE ROAD, STOCKTON ON TEES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)
District:
Stockton-on-Tees (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Billingham
National Park:
N/A
National Grid Reference:
NZ 49991 21297

Details

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1139845. This entry was removed from the List on 12 July 2017.

NZ 42 SE NZ 52 SW 7/427 8/427

BILLINGHAM PORT CLARENCE ROAD (off) (South side)

Transporter Bridge

II*

Transporter Bridge over River Tees, 1911 by G.C. Imbault (Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co.Ltd.) engineer; constructed by Sir William Arrol and Company Limited (Glasgow). Opened by Prince Arthur of Connaught. Plated and riveted steel. 2 pairs of tapering towers on steel and concrete caissons, support main cantilevered trusses, of which lower chord carries trolley way. Catwalk along trolley way 49m above water, and 260m. in length, with 174m. span over river. Clusters of woven steel wire tension ropes connect outward tips of trusses vertically down to concrete anchorage blocks set into the ground. Carriage suspended on steel wire ropes, from trolley hauled by 2 ropes connected to electrically powered winch, in housing on south bank of river. Carriage damaged by enemy action in 1940



Listing NGR: NZ 49991 21297

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59200
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].