CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139279
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPESTHORNE PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139279.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:30:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CAPESTHORNE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Siddington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84012 72728

Details

SIDDINGTON C.P. CAPESTHORNE PARK SJ 87 SW

6/82 Chapel of the Holy Trinity (formerly listed as Chapel at Capesthorne Hall). 14 4 67

GV II*

Chapel. Dated 1722 on original iron pennant to bell turret, altered 1887. By William Smith of Wergs. Red Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Nave and apsidal chancel. South front: Projecting plinth with stone moulding to top. Stone quoins to corners. Nave of three bays. Doorway to left with semi-circular arched stone surround and keystone containing double 3-pannelled doors and fanlight. Circular window above with four keystones. Two windows to right of this with semi-circular arched stone surrounds with keystones and stone aprons below windows. Moulded stone cornice above supporting balustrade. Balusters with heavy concave lower bodies. Square piers supporting swagged ball finials. East wall: central projecting semi-circular apse. Blind arched window to centre and two similar blocked windows to either side. The central window was circular with 4 keystones before the alterations of 1887. Interior: Raised family pew to west end with raised and fielded panelling to interior. In 1887 the interior was considerably altered. The box pews were replaced with a college chapel arrangement of facing pews. The triple-decker pulpit supported on terms was cut down and placed to the left of the apse. The panelling of the lower walls was raised in height. Wooden pilasters placed at the sides of the windows framing terra-cotta panels to the piers by George Tinworth. The heavy panelled ceiling was also added with gilded pendants and rosettes and the chancel windows filled. The mosaic reredos in an alabaster surround is by Salviati's and loosely based on Giotto's Dormition then in the Davenport collection at Capesthorne.

Listing NGR: SJ8401272728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
59121
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16162/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham R. Heasman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].