CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139326

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THELWALL NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 05:35:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THELWALL NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Warrington (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Grappenhall and Thelwall

National Grid Reference: SJ 64969 87416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 NW GRAPPENHALL C.P. THELWALL NEW ROAD (south side) Thelwall

1/24 Church of All Saints

II

Church: nave 1843 by J.M.Allen; chancel 1857; north aisle, vestry and west porch 1890 by William Owen. Rockfaced sandstone with steeply pitched grey slate roofs. Nave of 6 bays has lancets, buttresses and corbel-table; west bellcote has 1 bell; chancel of 2 bays has 2-light plate-tracery windows to south and 3 lancets with stilted quatrefoil window above, to east; north vestry and north aisle combined have 2 lancets, with stilted quatrefoil above, to east, 2 triple lancets in arched recesses flanked by single lancets, to north and 2 lancets with trefoil window above, to west; the west porch, ornately moulded, has door on south side; the west end of nave has 2 lancets with trefoil window above. Interior: The nave arcade has 2 small and 2 large arches (a: b: b: a) on octagonal piers; the nave has arch-braced trusses; the chancel has floor of marble and coloured glazed tiles, and scissor-trussed rafters; vigorous reredos has 2 panels of Biblical scenes in marble separated by plaster angels from 2 painted panels on each side. (Elijah; St.Michael; St.George; St.Werburgh). Fresco over chancel arch. Glass in a nave window to Sir W.P.Rylands (with wire drawer at work); in north aisle to Henry Stanton. Good tablet, 1906, by Eric Gill in classical painted wooden case by F.C.Eden and Helfar Bros. commemorates the foundation of Thelwall by Edward the Elder in 923.

Listing NGR: SJ6496987416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59032

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing